Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Romans 12:2

When I became single, I started to fill all the alone time with movies, or episode binge watches on Netflix. Even now as I'm dating, watching a movie is one of my favorite things to do. But lately, I've noticed, it doesn't make me as happy as it used to. Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of the language, and other filth, that seems to becoming more common place in movies these days. Really, how do those things even improve the movie?

At first, I kept telling myself, even if you refuse to watch this movie, based on its rating of language and sexual content, its not going to make a difference. Hollywood doesn't actually track you to see what movies you do and do not watch. 

But lately I've realized, sure, I'd love to change the big scheme of things. I wish I had the power to influence Hollywood on that level and stop the filth they are spewing out these days. But since I can't, the question was, what can I do? And then it hit me. Just because its out there, doesn't mean I need to be a partake of it.

Romans 12:2 "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."
Lately, I've felt the calling to step up and be a bigger part of my church's ministry. I've got this fire in me to share the love of God and I'm ready to step out of my comfort zone. The hotter this fire burns, the more dim the things of this world appear to me. I've been moved to clean out the junk of the world so I can make more room for Him, and therefore be able to share His light more fully. 

I no longer find delight in the filth of the entertainment industry. But I don't need to wait for things to change in the world. I need to start in my own heart and home. I can't change the world if I'm not willing to change myself. 

So I started by removing all R-rated films from my Netflix. Then, I did a google search, looking for a website that maybe kept track of what movies used certain language. If there is such a site, I couldn't find it. So in the end, I decided to cancel Netflix all together. Yes, I do realize that Netflix has all genres of shows and movies and there is plenty of other options. But to me, its the potential of that in my home I can no longer stand. I want my home to be a sanctuary, so I decided to do away with it all together. I decided to try out Pureflix (which compared to my Netflix plan is cheaper, so its a win-win). I've only had it for a few days, so I can't comment yet on how much I like it. But I am sure I'll end up loving it. 

I feel like, by cleaning up what I take in, I am shedding the ugliness of this world. When I feed my mind and soul with filth, I feel.... less. Less worthy, less happy, less pure. But when I feed my mind with good things, I feel more... more light, more peaceful, and more hopeful. I'll take that over a filth filled movie any day. 

This is my declaration. Enough is enough. (Oddly, that seems to be a running theme in my eating and spending habits also.) Even if my actions can't change the world. they can change me. My hope is that by changing myself, I will be able to affect those around me in a more positive way.

Right after making my decision to no longer seek the things of this world, I heard this song, "Different" by Micah Tyler. I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment